|2019 Summer Song Contest is Open for Submissions through August 15th.ASG’s 2019 Summer Song Contest is accepting submissions through midnight, August 15th. The finalists for each category will be posted on August 26th, and the winners of the Summer Contest will be announced on Saturday, September 7th. The first place winners in this year’s contests will have their winning songs posted on the ASG Website, and they will be in the running for ASG’s SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR. The Grand Prize for this year’s SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR will be the winner’s choice of either a 4 song CD produced by a major producer at a recording studio here in Austin, OR a trip to Nashville for a week including lodging and travel to meet with people in the industry and attend writing appointments. ASG’s SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR also gets free entry to all ASG events for the year, including ASG’s annual TEXAS SONGWRITERS SYMPOSIUM. For complete contest and submission rules, regulations and details, please read on.
ALL FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE CATEGORY WINNERS WILL RECEIVE ASG CERTIFICATE AWARDS ACKNOWLEDGING THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE CONTEST.
THE SAME AS LAST YEAR, SONG CONTEST SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW UPLOADED TO OUR WEBSITE (MP3 FILES ONLY) AND YOU PAY FOR YOUR ENTRIES ONLINE.
1. Singer/Songwriter – NOTE: The person singing the song must be the songwriter, or one of the co-writers.
2. Bare Bones – NOTE: There can only be one vocal and one instrument on these submissions. Submitted songs featuring more than one vocal and one instrument will be disqualified in this category.
NOTE: Songs submitted in the following categories may be either bare bones demo or studio produced. The songwriters do not necessarily have to be the singer of the submitted song. Songs that have been commercially released are also eligible.
3. Country – Self explanatory
4. Love Songs – NOTE: Can be any genre type, provided the lyrical subject matter is about love. Could be falling in or out of love, unrequited love, familial love, spiritual love or any other type of “love” song. It’s all about the love!
5. Pop – NOTE: Pop is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “pop” songs, the defining trait being potential commercial appeal, more so than musical style,
6. Rock – NOTE: Rock, like Pop, is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “rock” songs from classic rock to hard rock and many points in between.
7. Blues – NOTE: Blues is often a lamentation characterized by 12-bar phrases, 3-line stanzas in which the words of the second line often repeat those of the first, which opens this category up to a potentially eclectic group of submissions.
8. Jazz – NOTE: Jazz and blues are closely related, and jazz is an American music developed especially from ragtime and blues, and characterized by varying degrees of improvisation in the melody.
9. Folk/Americana — Consider the traditions of “folk” music, including “Americana” as a vehicle for acoustic storytelling, which sometimes, though not necessarily always, will have a protest and/or social justice lyrical theme.
10. Inspirational – NOTE: The lyrics must in some way be uplifting. It may be gospel or it may be a love song or anything in between.
11. Lyrics Only – Pretty self explanatory.
12. Novelty Songs – Self explanatory
SONG CONTEST ENTRY FEES
1. YOU MUST BE AN ASG MEMBER TO ENTER THIS CONTEST
2. ALL SONG ENTRIES ARE $10 EACH
3. THE FIRST 2 SONG ENTRIES ARE FREE FOR OUR GOLD LEVEL MEMBERS ($200/YR – $19.95/MO) AND THE FIRST 5 SONG ENTRIES ARE FREE FOR OUR PLATINUM LEVEL MEMBERS ($500/YR) WITH EVERY SONG AFTER THAT $10 EACH.
4. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS ON ANY SUBMISSIONS
SONG CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. Contest is open to amateur and professional songwriters.
JUDGING GUIDELINES AND DISCLAIMERS:
1. Production quality will NOT be considered when judging songs. This is a contest about songwriting, not engineering skills: However, do your best in presenting your songs well, even if it is a simple guitar-vocal track.
2. A judging committee consisting of music industry professionals, including songwriters, publishers, producers and radio personalities, among others, as well as the ASG Executive Board, will participate in judging the songs submitted to the contest.
3. Judges will use four criteria: melody, lyrics, originality and form.
4. The decisions of the judging committee are final.