Winter 2018 Song Contest is Open for Submissions
ASG’s Winter 2018 Song Contest is now accepting submissions through midnight, December 31st. The winners of this Contest will be announced shortly after the 2019 Symposium, that runs January 9-13th, time and place to be announced. The first place winners in this year’s contests will have their winning songs posted on the ASG Website, and they will be in the running for ASG’s SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR. The Grand Prize for this year’s SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR will be the winner’s choice of either a 4 song CD produced by Stephen Doster in EAR Studio here in Austin, OR a trip to Nashville for a week including lodging and travel to meet with people in the industry and attend writing appointments. For complete contest and submission rules, regulations and details, please read on.
ALL FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE CATEGORY WINNERS WILL RECEIVE ASG CERTIFICATE AWARDS ACKNOWLEDGING THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE CONTEST.
THIS YEAR’S SONG CONTEST SUBMISSIONS HAVE BEEN UPGRADED ON OUR WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN NOW SUBMIT YOUR SONGS (MP3 FILES ONLY) AND PAY FOR YOUR ENTRIES ONLINE.
1. Singer/Songwriter – NOTE: The person singing the song must be the songwriter, or one of the co-writers.
2. Bare Bones – NOTE: There can only be one vocal and one instrument on these submissions. Submitted songs featuring more than one vocal and instrument will be disqualified in this category.
NOTE: Songs submitted in the following categories may be either bare bones demo or studio produced. The songwriters do not necessarily have to be the singer of the submitted song. Songs that have been commercially released are also eligible.
4. Love Songs – NOTE: Can be any genre type, provided the lyrical subject matter is about love. Could be falling in or out of love, unrequited love, familial love, spiritual love or any other type of “love” song. It’s all about the love!
5. Pop – NOTE: Pop is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “pop” songs, the defining trait being potential commercial appeal, more so than musical style,
6. Rock – NOTE: Rock, like Pop, is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “rock” songs from classic rock to hard rock and many points in between.
7. Blues – NOTE: Despite specific definitions, Blues and Jazz are closely related, which opens up both categories to a potentially eclectic group of submissions.
8. Jazz – NOTE: Despite specific definitions, Blues and Jazz are closely related, which opens up both categories to a potentially eclectic group of submissions.
9. Folk/Americana — Consider the traditions of “folk” music, including “Americana” as a vehicle for acoustic storytelling, which sometimes, though not necessarily always, will have a protest and/or social justice lyrical theme.
10. Inspirational – NOTE: The lyrics must in some way be uplifting. It may be gospel or it may be a love song or anything in between.
11. Lyrics Only – Pretty self explanatory.
12. Novelty Songs
SONG CONTEST ENTRY FEES
1. YOU MUST BE AN ASG MEMBER TO ENTER THIS CONTEST
Click here to JOIN ASG for as little as $10 a month!
2. ALL SONG ENTRIES ARE $10 EACH
3. THE FIRST 2 SONG ENTRIES ARE FREE FOR OUR GOLD LEVEL MEMBERS ($200/YR – $19.95/MO) AND THE FIRST 5 SONG ENTRIES ARE FREE FOR OUR PLATINUM LEVEL MEMBERS ($500/YR) WITH EVERY SONG AFTER THAT $10 EACH
4. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS ON ANY SUBMISSIONS
SONG CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. Contest is open to amateur and professional songwriters.
2. Songs which have been commercially released may be entered.
3. Songs must be entered as MP3 files only.
4. Songs for the LYRICS ONLY category can be copied and pasted in as a text file.
5. All styles are eligible, please choose the appropriate category.
6. Each song must be the contestant’s original work.
7. Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all works submitted to the competition.
8. Prize winning songs from prior ASG song contests are not eligible for submission, however songs that have been submitted before but did not win are eligible.
JUDGING GUIDELINES AND DISCLAIMERS:
1. Production quality will NOT be considered when judging songs. This is a contest about songwriting, not engineering skills: However, do your best in presenting your songs well, even if it is a simple guitar-vocal track.
2. A judging committee consisting of music industry professionals, including songwriters, publishers, producers and radio personalities, among others, as well as the ASG Executive Board, will participate in judging the songs submitted to the contest.
3. Judges will use four criteria: melody, lyrics, originality and form.
4. The decisions of the judging committee are final.