ASG’s Fall Song Contest is accepting submissions beginning October 17th and running for one month only through November 17th. The winners of the Fall Contest will be announce at ASG’s 13th Annual Songwriters Symposium in January 2017. The first place winners in this year’s contest will have the opportunity to have their winning songs included on a compilation CD, and will also be able to attend one FREE songwriting or music publisher workshop of their choice during calendar year 2017. For complete contest and submission rules, regulations and details, please read on.
ALL FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD CATEGORY WINNERS WILL RECEIVE ASG CERTIFICATE AWARDS ACKNOWLEDGING THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE CONTEST.
Click here to download Fall 2016 Song Contest Entry Form
1. Singer-Songwriter – NOTE: The person singing the song must be the songwriter, or one of the co-writers.
2. Bare Bones – NOTE: There can only be one vocal and one instrument on these submissions. Submitted songs featuring more than one vocal and instrument will be disqualified in this category.
NOTE: Songs submitted in the following categories may be either bare bones demo or studio produced. The songwriters do not necessarily have to be the singer of the submitted song. Also, songs that have been commercially released are also eligible.
4. Love Songs – NOTE: Can be any genre type, provided the lyrical subject matter is about love. Could be falling in or out of love, unrequited love, familial love, spiritual love or any other type of “love” song. It’s all about the love!
5. Americana – NOTE: Americana is a broad category that can encompass everything from country, blues, country rock, folk, gospel and potentially more. Songs should have American themes, and ideally feature real people playing real instruments.
6. Blues/Jazz – NOTE: Despite specific definitions, Blues and Jazz are closely related, which opens this category up to a potentially eclectic group of submissions. Instrumentals are also acceptable.
7. Pop – NOTE: Pop, like Rock, is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “pop” songs, the defining trait being potential commercial appeal, more so than musical style.
8. Rock – NOTE: Rock, like Pop, is a broadly defined genre. Many songs potentially classify as “rock” songs from classic rock to hard rock and many points in between.
9. Folk/Protest/Social Justice – NOTE: Some songs from this category could also qualify as Americana submissions. Consider the traditions of “folk” music as a vehicle for acoustic storytelling, which sometimes, though not necessarily always, will have a protest and/or social justice lyrical theme.
10. General – NOTE: This a broad category that could encompass a wide range of song types, including children’s songs, novelty songs, holiday songs and more. Be creative and have fun.
11. Lyrics Only Pretty self explanatory.
SONG CONTEST ENTRY GUIDELINES:
1. PLEASE submit only on CDs. Use only one entry form and only one song per CD! Fold your lyric sheet and attach it with a rubber band to your CD.
2. DO NOT place your name anywhere on either the CD or the lyric sheet!
3. Each CD for each song must be clearly marked with ONLY the song title, your phone number (including area code), and the category name for which you are submitting the song must be on the CD and lyric sheet. See example immediately below:
SONG TITLE: IT HURTS TO LOSE YOU
PHONE # 512-123-4567
DO NOT PLACE your name and address on the CD or the lyric sheet or your entry will be disqualified.
4. Place ALL personal identifying information on the entry form that accompanies the CD and Lyric sheet for each song you are entering.
5. You may enter the same song in different categories BUT you must submit a separate CD, entry form, lyric sheet, and entry fee for each entry.
6. MAIL TO:
AUSTIN SONGWRITERS GROUP
P.O. BOX 17786
AUSTIN, TEXAS 78760
SONG CONTEST ENTRY FEES
1. YOU MUST BE AN ASG MEMBER TO ENTER THIS CONTEST
2. 1ST SONG IS 25 DOLLARS
2ND SONG IS 20 DOLLARS
3RD SONG IS 15 DOLLARS
4TH SONG AND EVERY SONG AFTER THAT IS 10 DOLLARS EACH
3. MAKE ALL CHECKS AND/OR MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO AUSTIN SONGWRITERS GROUP
YOU MAY ALSO PAY ONLINE BY DONATION ON OUR MEMBERSHIP WEBSITE
4. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS ON ANY SUBMISSIONS
SONG CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. Contest is open to amateur and professional songwriter.
2. Songs which have been commercially released my be entered.
3. Song must be entered on CD … MP3 and WAV files only
4. Photo copies of entry form are acceptable
5. Please print clearly to avoid misspelling or incorrect contact information
6. All styles are eligible please choose the appropriate category
7. Each song must be the contestants original work
8. Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all works submitted to the competition
9. Prize winning songs from prior ASG song contests are not eligible for submission, however songs that have been submitted before but did not win are eligible.
10. Submissions will not be returned
11. ASG is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, misdirected or stolen, nor for CD’s that do not play in standard play back devices, or for postage due on mail submissions.
JUDGING GUIDELINES AND DISCLAIMERS:
1. Production quality will NOT be considered when judging songs. This is a contest about songwriting, not engineering skills: However, do your best in presenting our songs well, even if it is a simple guitar-vocal track.
2. A judging committee consisting of music industry professionals, including songwriters, publishers, producers and radio personalities, among others, as well as the ASG Executive Board, will participate in judging the songs submitted to the contest.
3. Judges will use four criteria: melody, lyrics, originality and form.
4. The decisions of the judging committee are final.