ASG’s Spring Song Contest 2012 Is Open For Submissions
Submissions Deadline Extended 72-Hours to Midnight on Monday, June 4th
The submissions deadline for the ASG 2012 Spring Song Contest has been extended 72-hours only to allow one final weekend for preparation and submission. This is the one and only submissions extension for this year’s contest as calendar timing for upcoming events will not allow. ASG Executive Director Lee Duffy will be around the office for much of the weekend and on Monday for anyone that would like to bring their submissions by the office at 3800 Woodbury. If she is not there, there is a mailbox at the front door where you can leave them. You may also call the ASG phone at 512.698.4237 if you have a question or need to coordinate your delivery. If you are mailing your submissions, you have until midnight on Monday, June 4th to get them postmarked.
The judging this year will take place during the month of June with the awards event taking place in early July, specific date to be announced at a later date. There are a total of ten (10) categories in which songs can be submitted. The complete list of categories is below in the Song Contest Genre Categories section of this page. The complete Rules, Regulations and Judging Guidelines are detailed on this page below.
There will be three winners in each category for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. The first place winners in each category will be in competition for the Grand Prize Winning “Song of the Year.” The Top 3 winners in each category and the Grand Prize Winner will receive prizes and considerations as detailed immediately below.
SONG CONTEST PRIZES INFORMATION:
- The Grand Prize Winner will win a four (4) hour recording session at EAR Studios in Austin with Stephen Doster producing; which includes a pre-production meeting with Doster prior to the recording session; free entry to the 9th Annual ASG Songwriter Symposium in January 2013, including one night of accommodations at the Omni Hotel during the Symposium; showcases throughout the year, including Symposium 2013, one private 1-hour meeting with a professional music publisher to pitch your songs; publicity in appropriate ASG press releases throughout the year; and visibility on the ASG website for the coming year.
- All First Place Category Winners will receive one year’s free ASG membership, free entry into one songwriting or publisher workshop of your choice during the year, and attendance at one ASG House concert of their choice.
- All Second Place Category Winners will receive one year’s free ASG membership, free entry into one songwriting or publisher workshop of your choice during the year.
- All Third Place Category Winners will receive one year’s free ASG membership.
- All category winners and the Grand Prize Winner will receive an ASG certificate award designating their accomplishments in the contest.
SONG CONTEST GENRE CATEGORIES:
The ASG 2012 Song Contest will have TEN (10) total categories:
- Bare Bones
- Lyrics Only
- General (including instrumentals, comedy, novelty, showtunes, etc.)
SONG CONTEST ENTRY GUIDELINES:
- Please submit only on CDs. Use only one entry form and only one song per CD! Fold your lyric sheet and attach it with a rubber band to your CD.
- Do not place your name anywhere on either the CD or the lyric sheet!
- Each CD for each song must be clearly marked with ONLY the song title, your phone number (including area code), and the category name for which you are submitting the song. MUST be on the CD and lyric sheet. See example immediately below.:
Song title: It Hurts to Lose You
Phone #: 512-123-4567
- Your Name and Address MUST NOT be on the CD and lyric sheet or your entry will be disqualified.
- Place ALL personal identifying information on the entry form that accompanies the CD & Lyric sheet for each song you are entering.
- You may enter the same song in different categories BUT you must submit a separate CD, entry form, lyric sheet, and entry fee for each entry.
Mail Your Entries To:
ASG 2012 Song Contest
PO Box 2578
Austin, TX 78768
Hand Deliver Your Entries To:
Austin, TX 78704
The DEADLINE for submissions is midnight June 1, 2012.
Download Song Contest Entry Form
SONG CONTEST ENTRY FEES:
- If you are NOT an ASG member: $30 for the first entry and $25 for each additional entry.
- If you are an ASG member: $20 for the first entry, $15 each for the 2nd & 3rd entries, and $10 for each entry thereafter.
- If you choose to join the ASG at the time you enter, so that you may qualify for the reduced song submission rates, please include an additional $50 for your annual dues along with the ASG Song Contest entry forms, CDs and Lyric Sheets for the songs you are submitting.
- Make all checks or money orderd payable to: Austin Songwriters Group.
- Sorry, no refunds on any submissions.
SONG CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Contest is open to amateur and professional songwriters.
- Songs which have been commercially released may be entered.
- Song must be entered on CD.
- Your entry must include your telephone number (with area code) and song title.
- Only one song per CD.
- Typed lyric sheet (when applicable) must be included for each song for judging purposes.
- Your lyric sheet must include your telephone number (with area code) and song title. Please include English translation for lyrics, if applicable.
- Only one song and category may be entered per entry form.
- Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable.
- Please print clearly and legibly in order to avoid .
- The same song may be entered in different production categories with separate entry forms and separate entry fees.
- ALL STYLES OF MUSIC ARE ELIGIBLE. Please choose the appropriate category.
- Each song must be the contestant’s original work.
- Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all work submitted for the competition.
- Prizewinning songs from prior ASG song contests are not eligible.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- ASG is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, or stolen entries, or postage due.
JUDGING GUIDELINES & DISCLAIMERS:
- Production quality will NOT be considered when judging songs. This is a contest about songwriting, not engineering skills!
- A judging committee consisting of music industry professionals, including songwriters, publishers and radio personalities, among others, as well as the ASG Executive Board, will participate in judging the songs submitted to the contest.
- The decisions of the judging committee are final.
- To maintain the integrity of the judging process, all CDs and lyric sheets submitted for each song must not contain any names of the songwriter(s) on either the CD or the Lyric Sheets. The only place where the songwriter names are accepted is on the entry form accompanying the CD and Lyric Sheets for each submission.
- Phone number of Songwriter entrant will be the only identifying information on CD and Lyric Sheets during judging to maintain songwriter anonymity and integrity of the judging process.
- Judges will use four criteria: melody, lyrics (if applicable), originality and form.
- The recording quality of performance or production value will not be considered.
- Judges are not eligible to enter any category for which they will adjudicate.
NOTIFICATION OF FINALISTS & AWARDS SHOW:
- Finalists will be notified after June 15, 2012 by email.
- Winners will be announced at an Awards Show Event, to be held in July 2012.
- Final time/date and location to be announced prior to the Awards Event.
- Entries that violate these rules may be disqualified, and submitted fees will not be returned.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- In the event there is more than one writer for a winning song, winners are responsible for the division of the prize.
Thank you for participating in ASG’s 2012 Spring Song Contest and best wishes to you on your songwriting and your submissions.